All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.25
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.14
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.18
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.33
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $105.74
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $51.77
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.32
About this product
- DescriptionIn The Acquiescent Villa, Paula Closson Buck writes the way Picasso paints -- with slanted angles of approach and departure that give us the human heart passionately at work. A restless explorer of the world as body, the body as world, she is acutely aware of the ways in which language creates and sustains these spheres, bringing them sometimes into collision, sometimes into balance. Her poems are journeys into marriage and memory via ship or the body's furious train -- to Spain, to Germany, to the Turkish baths, to the corner store for bread.In making such journeys, Closson Buck yokes the intimate and the social so deftly that one hardly realizes what she has done. So that while the speaker of The Turkish Baths thinks of becoming again personal, like anyone afraid a dream will come to thing , the connection to history and to place that she longs for is already there, in the making and the language. In images as sumptuous as they are surprising, in voyages navigated by sensual touch and oblique eye, the poet gives us the far world brought near.With elegant diction, an acute sense of the line, an honest and compelling struggle to kw, to feel, to balance conflicting desires, this premiere collection offers compelling and mature work.
- Author BiographyPaula Closson Buck is assistant professor of writing and director of the writing program at the University of Pittsburgh at Bradford. Her poems have appeared in such periodicals as Shenandoah and the Antioch Review.
- Author(s)Paula Closson Buck
- PublisherLouisiana State University Press
- Date of Publication01/10/1998
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationBaton Rouge
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLouisiana State University Press
- Weight231 g
- Width139 mm
- Height204 mm
- Spine12 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.