All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOffering revolutionary new training for the actor, The Actor's Secret teaches actors and performers how to incorporate the fundamentals of the Alexander Technique, Somatic Experiencing(r), and Breathing Coordination in order to reduce performance anxiety and stress; improve stage presence, breathing, and vocal production; and restore well-being and healthy functioning. These three kinesthetic disciplines are designed to lead to profound change and healing through body-mind reeducation. Part I explains in detail the principles of the three techniques. A practical method for self-improvement and neuromuscular reeducation, the Alexander Technique focuses on changing inefficient habits of movement and patterns of tension that inhibit the ability to move easily. Breathing Coordination helps increase breathing capacity and awareness. A method for resolving emotional trauma, Somatic Experiencing(r) follows a process of tracking bodily sensations to restore vitality and health. Enhanced with over 100 instructive photos, Parts II and III present explorations and exercises that draw on elements of the three methods. Topics covered include the importance of presence and n-doing; the proper mechanics of vocalization and singing; the understanding of character and role; and the actor's journey from auditions to performance, including initial script preparation, rehearsal, mologue, and scene work. Developed by Betsy Polatin, a movement specialist and master lecturer at Boston University's College of Fine Arts, the book's exercises provide the actor with simple tools for exploring his or her acting work. Most techniques and self-help books teach a new way of doing. The secret of this book lies in n-doing. When the actor learns to first recognize and then suspend habitual patterns, he or she opens the door to deeper artistic choices. I have worked with many fine Alexander Technique teachers over the years and Betsy Polatin is far and away one of the finest. Her touch, her instincts, and her kwledge are miraculous. Andre Gregory, actor and director, My Dinner with Andre
- Author BiographyBETSY POLATIN is a movement specialistwith four decades of experience in body-mindeducation and performance training. She hasworked with many performing artists in theater, film, and music, including such luminariesas Rashida Jones, Ginnifer Goodwin, Andre Gregory, and John Denver. As a highlyrespected senior Alexander Technique educator, she pioneered a four-year Alexander curriculumfor the acting conservatory programat Boston University s College of Fine Arts, where she is a masterlecturer. A certified Breathing Coordination instructor and a SomaticExperiencing practitioner, she holds a BA in dance and an MFA intheater education. She continues to teach her work extensively, bothprivately and in master classes in the United States and abroad.
- Author(s)Betsy Polatin
- PublisherNorth Atlantic Books,U.S.
- Date of Publication19/11/2013
- SubjectOther Performing Arts
- Place of PublicationBerkeley, CA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorth Atlantic Books,U.S.
- Out-of-print date06/12/2016
- Content Note128 Black and White Photographs
- Weight658 g
- Width178 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.48
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.31
- AU $36.78Trending at AU $38.13
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.65
- AU $33.33Trending at AU $36.24
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.49
- AU $23.12Trending at AU $33.89
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.