All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this revealing study, Daisuke Miyao explores the aesthetics of shadow in Japanese cinema in the first half of the twentieth century. This term, coined by the production designer Yoshi Nobutaka, refers to the perception that shadows add depth and mystery. Miyao analyzes how this tion became naturalized as the representation of beauty in Japanese films, situating Japanese cinema within transnational film history. He examines the significant roles lighting played in distinguishing the styles of Japanese film from American and European film and the ways that lighting facilitated the formulation of a coherent new Japanese cultural tradition. Miyao discusses the influences of Hollywood and German cinema alongside Japanese Kabuki theater lighting traditions and the emergence of neon commercial lighting during this period. He argues that lighting techlogy in cinema had been structured by the conflicts of modernity in Japan, including capitalist transitions in the film industry, the articulation of Japanese cultural and national identity, and increased subjectivity for individuals. By focusing on the understudied element of film lighting and treating cinematographers and lighting designers as essential collaborators in moviemaking, Miyao offers a rereading of Japanese film history.
- Author BiographyDaisuke Miyao is Associate Professor of Japanese Film/Cinema Studies at the University of Oregon. He is the author of Sessue Hayakawa: Silent Cinema and Transnational Stardom, also published by Duke University Press.
- Author(s)Daisuke Miyao
- PublisherDuke University Press
- Date of Publication04/03/2013
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationNorth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDuke University Press
- Content Note64 illustrations
- Weight567 g
- Width155 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.26
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.07
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $75.99Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $56.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.