All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.00Trending at AU $70.55
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.30
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $68.17
- AU $27.82Trending at AU $32.91
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $87.36
- AU $67.59Trending at AU $76.01
About this product
- DescriptionThe history of the African and Middle Eastern world is, to a large extent, the story of a religion-Islam-and how it claimed millions of followers across empires and kingdoms. First proclaimed by the Prophet Muhammad in the seventh century, Islam quickly spread, through trade and conquest, from the Arabian Peninsula to vast sections of Asia and Africa and even to parts of Europe. The cast of characters in this story is fascinating: from the Prophet himself to Abu Bakr Muhammad ar-Razi, a Persian physician who compiled a multivolume medical encyclopedia; Mehmed II, an Ottomon sultan who conquered Constantinople and brought the Byzantine Empire to an end; Mansa Musa, a West African emperor who distributed gifts of gold all along the route to Mecca; and Ibn Battuta, a Moroccan Berber whose travels through the Islamic world in the 14th century covered 75,000 miles. The pages of The African and Middle Eastern World tell not only about these figures and many others but also about Islamic principles and laws, the religion's different branches (including the Sunnis and Shiites), and the widely varied geography and cultural practices of this world. Also covered are people like the Shona of Southern Africa, who remained outside of Islam's long reach. Numerous primary sources-including excerpts from an eighth-century biography of Muhammad, The Tale of King Sinbad and the Falcon from The Thousand and One Nights, and a story about leadership from the West African oral tradition-further illuminate this history.
- Author BiographyRandall L. Pouwels is a Professor of History at the University of Central Arkansas. His books include World Civilizations Volume I and II and History of Islam in Africa.
- Author(s)Randall L Pouwels
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication01/06/2005
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleMedieval and Early Modern World
- Series Part/Volume Number02
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2005
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight581 g
- Width196 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Paper over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.