All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
About this product
- DescriptionWith a vast river network and rainforests extending over eight South American countries, the Amazon plays a vital role particularly in maintaining biodiversity and terrestrial carbon storage. Due to its ecological characteristics, the Amazon benefits t only those countries but also the international community at large. However, the Amazon forests are being rapidly cleared with a consequent loss of biodiversity and impact on global climate. This book examines whether international law has an impact on the preservation of the Amazon by inquiring into the forms of cooperation that exist among the Amazon countries, and between them and the international community, and to what extent international cooperation can help protect the Amazon. Given the role of this region in maintaining the balance of the global environment, the book examines whether the Amazon should be granted a special legal status and possible implications in terms of international cooperation.
- Author BiographyBeatriz Garcia is a research fellow at the Australian Centre for Climate and Environmental Law at Sydney Law School. She completed her master's degree and Ph.D. at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva, Switzerland. She has worked on the Biodiversity and Climate Change Section of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, particularly on projects related to the Amazon region, and has also held positions at government agencies in Brazil and at the Amazon Cooperation Treaty Organization.
- Author(s)Beatriz Garcia
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication21/02/2011
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note2 b/w illus. 6 maps 25 tables
- Weight640 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.