All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.99
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
About this product
- DescriptionOn its publication in 1999, The American Art Book immediately filled a critical gap in accessible yet authoritative surveys on American artists of the past three centuries. With an A to Z format that departs from the usual emphasis on genres and time periods, it offers an unparalleled overview of the most influential and best-loved American artists from Colonial times to the present. The American Art Book presents 500 artists and their works, ranging from Puritan portraits to the lumius paintings of the Hudson River School and the American Impressionists, to the videos and digital works of today's most intriguing conceptual artists. Its alphabetic format generates intriguing juxtapositions: Jenny Holzer faces Winslow Homer, and Richard Avedon sits next to Milton Avery, encouraging readers to contemplate the connections between art and American history and popular culture. Each artist is represented by a full-page colour plate of a representative work together with an informative, engaging text that places the artist and the image in the context of contemporary movements and preceding traditions. The book includes an easy-to-use glossary of artistic terms and movements, and a directory of museums and public collections across the United States and around the world with important holdings in American art. With its original format and fresh selections of artwork, this volume offers a stimulating way to approach this rich, varied subject. This book is w also available in a new mini version that presents the compelling content of this original edition in a highly portable format that is both useful as a serious work of reference and fun for on-the-go art enthusiasts.
- Author BiographyThis compilation draws together the research and works of a broad selection of curators, critics, artists, and academics.
- Author(s)Barbara Galatti,Jan Arrigo,Jenifer Borum
- PublisherPhaidon Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/04/1999
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPhaidon Press Ltd
- Content Note500 colour illustrations, glossaries, directory
- Weight3084 g
- Width250 mm
- Height290 mm
- Spine48 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.