All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $92.76
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.73
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.60
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $51.92
- AU $78.77Trending at AU $115.92
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.71
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a Choice's 'Outstanding Academic Title'. The college town is a unique type of urban place, shaped by the sometimes conflicting forces of youth, intellect, and idealism. The hundreds of college towns in the United States are, in essence, an academic archipelago. Similar to one ather, they differ in fundamental ways from other cities and the regions in which they are located. In this highly readable book - the first work published on the subject - Blake Gumprecht identifies the distinguishing features of college towns, explains why they have developed as they have in the United States, and examines in depth various characteristics that make them unusual. In eight thematic chapters, he explores some of the most interesting aspects of college towns - their distinctive residential and commercial districts, their unconventional political cultures, their status as bohemian islands, their emergence as high-tech centers, and more. Each of these chapters focuses on a single college town as an example, while providing additional evidence from other towns. Lively, richly detailed, and profusely illustrated with original maps and photographs, as well as historical images, this is an important book that firmly establishes the college town as an integral component of the American experience.
- Author BiographyBLAKE GUMPRECHT is associate professor and chair of the Department of Geography at the University of New Hampshire.
- Author(s)Blake Gumprecht
- PublisherUniversity of Massachusetts Press
- Date of Publication15/02/2010
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationMassachusetts
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Massachusetts Press
- Content Note82 illustrations, 12 maps
- Weight921 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine30 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.