All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThere is better way to understand America than by understanding the cultural history of the American Dream. Rather than just a powerful philosophy or ideology, the Dream is thoroughly woven into the fabric of everyday life, playing a vital role in who we are, what we do, and why we do it. No other idea or mythology has as much influence on our individual and collective lives. Tracing the history of the phrase in popular culture, Samuel gives readers a field guide to the evolution of our national identity over the last eighty years. Samuel tells the story chrologically, revealing that there have been six major eras of the mythology since the phrase was coined in 1931. Relying mainly on period magazines and newspapers as his primary source material, the author demonstrates that journalists serving on the front lines of the scene represent our most valuable resource to recover unfiltered stories of the Dream. The problem, Samuel reveals, is that it does t exist; the Dream is just that, a product of our imagination. That it is t real ultimately turns out to be the most significant finding and what makes the story most compelling.
- Author BiographyLawrence R. Samuel is the founder of Culture Planning LLC, a Miami-and New York-based resource offering cultural insight to Fortune 500 organizations. He is the author of The End of the Innocence: The 1964-1965 New York World's Fair, Future: A Recent History, Rich: The Rise and Fall of American Wealth Culture, Freud on Madison Avenue: Motivation Research and Subliminal Advertising in America, Supernatural America: A Cultural History, and a number of other books.
- Author(s)Lawrence R. Samuel
- PublisherSyracuse University Press
- Date of Publication15/09/2012
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSyracuse University Press
- Weight517 g
- Width163 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.86
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.