All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $28.00Trending at AU $36.05
About this product
- DescriptionUsing James Truslow Adams' definition of the American dream, this book investigates whether black African immigrants in Texas are achieving the American dream. Almost all of the study participants Moore interviewed considered America a land of opportunity. Additionally, most of the black African immigrants' definitions of the American dream focused on material aspects. Although participants mostly reported that the United States had been good to them, they netheless felt that they had t yet achieved the American dream. Additionally, they reported that their lives in the United States had been, at best, incomplete. They also encountered other challenges which mainly reflected the moralistic aspect of the definition of the American dream. They reported experiences such as t being fully accepted by native-born Americans in general and by white Americans in particular, being discriminated against, and being unappreciated. In fact, all of these challenges created a sense of marginalization among study participants. However, aware of the benefits of migration, they were willing to endure these challenges.
- Author BiographyAmi R. Moore is associate professor of sociology at the University of North Texas, Denton. Her research interests lie in earnings differentials, health-related studies, and the effects of race, gender, and place of birth among immigrants in the United States. She was previously a Fulbright scholar.
- Author(s)Ami R. Moore
- PublisherUniversity Press of America
- Date of Publication24/02/2015
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of America
- Content Note1 black & white illustrations, 1 tables
- Weight181 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.