All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $86.07
- AU $18.54Trending at AU $23.02
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.16
- AU $26.15Trending at AU $26.53
- AU $35.37Trending at AU $37.50
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.93
About this product
- DescriptionMartial arts have appeared in American movies since the days of Mr. Moto and Charlie Chan, but English-language martial arts films as a genre did t develop until the 1970s, with the breakthrough success of Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon. They've since proliferated ermously, encompassing every level of filmmaking quality, employing every martial arts system kwn, and spawning a cadre of action superstars kwn for their ability to kick butt more than for their talent as actors. Low budgets, straight-to-video releases, and a lack of critical respect have t lessened their influence, and they remain hugely popular and continue to inform the work of the leading lights of American cinema, from Coppola to Stone to Taranti. This history of American martial arts films, from major features to direct-to-video releases, examines English-language martial arts films in terms of both their historical development and their critical relevance. The first section describes the most common martial arts techniques, the history of martial arts in America, and gives a global overview of the history of martial arts films. Heavily illustrated chapters discuss early trend-setting movies, the first appearances of martial arts in American movies; the influence of Chinese kung fu film imports; martial arts on television and the films' proliferation; the explosive growth of the genre in the 80s; and recent releases, trends, and the direction of English-language martial arts movies. There is a selected filmography of 300 movies.
- Author BiographyWriter M. Ray Lott was a law enforcement officer for over 20 years. He holds degrees in film, electronic media, and mass communication. He lives in Southern California.
- Author(s)M. Ray Lott
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication15/03/2011
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Note55 photos, notes, filmography, bibliography, index
- Weight431 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.