All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.77
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.65Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
About this product
- DescriptionThe American Medical Association enacted its Code of Ethics in 1847, the first such national codification. In this volume, a distinguished group of experts from the fields of medicine, bioethics, and history of medicine reflect on the development of medical ethics in the United States, using historical analyses as a springboard for discussions of the problems of the present, including what the editors call a sense of moral crisis precipitated by the shift from a system of fee-for-service medicine to a system of fee-for-system medicine, better kwn as 'managed care.' The authors begin with a look at how the medical profession began to consider ethical issues in the 1800s and subsequent developments in the 1900s. They then address the sociological, historical, ethical, and legal aspects of the practice of medicine. Later chapters discuss current and future challenges to medical ethics and professional values. Appendixes display various versions of the AMA's Code of Ethics as it has evolved over time. Contributors: George J. Annas, J.D., M.P.H., Arthur Isak Applbaum, Ph.D., Robert B. Baker, Ph.D., Chester R. Burns, M.D., Ph.D., Arthur L. Caplan, Ph.D., Alexander Morgan Capron, J.D., Christine K. Cassel, M.D., Linda L. Emanuel, M.D., Ph.D., Eliot L. Freidson, Ph.D., Albert R. Jonsen, Ph.D., Stephen R. Latham, J.D., Ph.D., Susan E. Lederer, Ph.D., Florencia Luna, Ph.D., Edmund D. Pellegri, M.D., Charles E. Rosenberg, Ph.D., Mark Siegler, M.D., Rosemary A. Stevens, Ph.D., Robert M. Tenery, Jr., M.D., Robert M. Veatch, Ph.D., John Harley Warner, Ph.D., Paul Root Wolpe, Ph.D.
- Author BiographyRobert B. Baker, Ph.D., is a professor in the Department of Philosophy at Union College. Stephen R. Latham J.D., Ph.D., teaches at Northwestern University School of Law. Arthur L. Caplan, Ph.D., is a professor and director, Center for Bioethics at the University of Pennsylvania College of Medicine. Linda L. Emanuel, M.D., Ph.D., is Vice President for Ethics Standards at the American Medical Association.
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication01/11/1999
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note3, 2 black & white halftones, 1 black & white line drawings
- Weight799 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byArthur L. Caplan,Linda L. Emanuel,Robert B. Baker,Stephen R. Latham,etc.
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
- Interest AgeFrom 17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.