All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $126.99Trending at AU $162.41
- AU $28.80Trending at AU $29.93
- AU $26.80Trending at AU $27.17
- AU $56.37Trending at AU $60.28
- AU $49.99Trending at AU $51.55
- AU $35.11Trending at AU $47.51
- AU $28.94Trending at AU $29.39
About this product
- DescriptionChildren love holiday celebrations but most don't kw whythey wear masks on Halloween or watch for the groundhog on February 2. Now they can discover that many of our modern traditions started with the festivals of the ancient Celts. The Celts were farming people, so their festivals marked the important events of the agricultural year. Imbolc, in very early spring, celebrated the birth of new lambs, while Samhain, in late fall, celebrated the end of the growing season and the beginning of winter. If we look at our modern calendar, we'll find Groundhog Day falling where Imbolc did, Halloween where the Celts celebrated Samhain, and a host of other holiday correspondences. That's because descendants of the Celts were among the first Europeans to settle in the New World, bringing their holiday traditions with them. In a world of electric lights and store-bought foods, The Ancient Celtic Festivalscan help children make the connections to nature that their ancestors did. Whimsically illustrated activity pages invite them to bake a harvest corn bread, stage a spring festival, or warm up the cold depths of winter with hot spiced cider. Teachers, librarians, parents, and children alike will welcome this book as a fun-filled resource.
- Author BiographyClare Walker Leslie is a nationally known naturalist, wildlife artist and educator. She is the author of the popular children's book Nature All Year Long, as well as six books for adults on observing nature and nature drawing. She divides her time between Cambridge, Massachusetts and Granville, Vermont. Frank E. Gerace has studied the Celts in myth and legend for twenty years. He lives in Allston, Massachusetts.
- Author(s)Clare Walker Leslie,Frank E. Gerace
- PublisherInner Traditions Bear and Company
- Date of Publication25/04/2008
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Place of PublicationRochester
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintInner Traditions Bear and Company
- Content NoteFull-color illustrations throughout
- Weight260 g
- Width279 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementNow in Paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.