All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis accessible introduction surveys the land and peoples who gave us the Labyrinth, the Acropolis, the Iliad and Odyssey, Herodotus and Thucydides, Sappho and Sophocles, Aphrodite and Aristotle, and so much more. Using the full range of resources of art history, archaeology, and philology, this book details the familiar-mythic heroes and heroines, famous philosophers and poets, as well as classical art and architecture-and introduces the less-well-kwn aspects of ancient Greece, tably the civilizations of the Bronze and Dark Ages and even the earliest form of written Greek-Linear B. In addition, Stephanie Lynn Budin offers a full history of how the study of classical Greece has evolved from ancient times through the Middle Ages and the Renaissance to the present day. She covers ongoing questions and new directions in Greek studies, including Mian religion, the role of women in early Greek cultures, the historical accuracy of Homer and Herodotus, and the role of Greece amongst its n-Greek neighbors. The Ancient Greeks includes a rich collection of illustrations, drawings, maps, and photographs, including detailed renderings of Kssos, the evolution of Greek sculpture and pottery, and even a section on ancient weaponry. The result is a superb companion for both newcomers and long-time Hellephiles, revealing t only what we kw about ancient Greece but how we kw it and how these cultures continue to influence us.
- Author BiographyStephanie Lynn Budin, Ph.D., is a professional writer specializing in ancient History, Ancient Greece, and the Near East. She is the author of The Myth of Sacred Prostitution in Antiquity and The Origin of Aphrodite.
- Author(s)Stephanie Lynn Budin
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication26/03/2009
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Notenumerous halftone and line illustrations
- Weight683 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.69Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $20.46Trending at AU $26.08
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.