All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $56.25Trending at AU $57.63
- AU $68.01Trending at AU $77.28
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $79.20
- AU $11.89Trending at AU $18.44
- AU $12.87Trending at AU $16.90
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $51.80
- AU $16.42Trending at AU $24.69
About this product
- DescriptionThe five heartbreaking and radiant stories in John Fulton's The Animal Girl explore the awkwardness of situations in which grief and erotic love collide. Here are people in extremis, struggling mightily, and often failing, to keep it together. In the Pushcart Prize--winning Hunters, Fulton contrasts the humorous clumsiness of dating with the grim realities of death in the tale of a middle-aged woman who keeps her cancer a secret when she starts a relationship with an avid hunter. In the vella-length title story, a lonely adolescent girl deals with the recent loss of her mother and the alien presence of her father's new girlfriend by taking out her aggression on her boss and on the animals she cares for in her summer job at a research laboratory. The final story in the collection, The Sleeping Woman, delves into the inner life of Evelyn, a divorced professional woman who falls in love with Russell, a man whose wife is permanently brain damaged and has been unresponsive for years. The ghostly presence of Russell's wife haunts Evelyn as she discovers how her lover has been scarred by his misfortune and searches for ways they might build a long-term relationship in the wake of personal tragedy.These powerful stories approach the often sentimentalized subject of romance with tenderness and insight into the heart-worn perspective of characters who have failed at love in the past. In lucid, revelatory prose, Fulton navigates the complexity of both mid-life courtship and adolescent rage with humor and intelligence.
- Author BiographyJohn Fulton is the author of two other books of fiction: Retribution, winner of the Southern Review Short Fiction Award, and the novel More Than Enough, a Barnes and Noble Discover Great New Writers selection. His short fiction has appeared in the Southern Review, Zoetrope, and the Ontario Review, among other publications, and he has been awarded a Pushcart Prize, short-listed for the O. Henry Award, and cited for distinction in The Best American Short Stories. He lives with his wife and baby daughter in Boston, where he teaches in the MFA program at the University of Massachusetts-Boston.
- Author(s)Senior Lecturer St Mary's College John Fulton
- PublisherLouisiana State University Press
- Date of Publication01/09/2007
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Series TitleYellow Shoe Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLouisiana State University Press
- Weight231 g
- Width146 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.