All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.66Trending at AU $31.89
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.92
- AU $29.93Trending at AU $31.44
- AU $46.06Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $12.78Trending at AU $13.19
- AU $18.55Trending at AU $20.49
- AU $31.10Trending at AU $31.88
About this product
- DescriptionThe Antated We represents the first fully antated translation of Evgeny Zamiatin's classic vel in English. Generally recognized as the first modern anti-utopian vel, Zamiatin's We has puzzled scholars and critics alike, for it is both serious and playful, full of games. Long considered to be enigmatic, it stands out as unique among his works, and its importance is beyond doubt, for it t only holds the distinction of being the first work of its kind, but is also widely believed to have provided thematic elements for the two most famous dystopian works of the twentieth century, Aldous Huxley's Brave New World and George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four. This new English translation employs language and syntax that mirror the precision and ecomy of Zamiatin's Russian in his poem in prose. The commentary that accompanies the text sheds light on Zamiatin's use of language as well as on the broad array of allusions that mark it, while at the same time suggesting many previously unackwledged sources for the vel's playfulness.
- Author BiographyVladimir Wozniuk is professor emeritus at Western New England University.
- Author(s)Evgeny Zamiatin,Vladimir Wozniuk
- PublisherLehigh University Press
- Date of Publication12/05/2015
- SubjectScience Fiction & Fantasy
- Place of PublicationCranbury
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLehigh University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight458 g
- Width162 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.