All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Anthropology of Love and Anger questions the very foundations of western sociological thought. In their examination of indigeus peoples from across the South American continent, the contributors to this volume have come to realise that western thought does t possess the vocabulary to define even the fundamentals of indigeus thought and practice. The dualisms of public and private, political and domestic, individual and collective, even male and female, in which western anthropology was founded cant legitimately be applied to peoples whose 'sociality' is based on an 'aesthetics of community'. For indigeus people success is measured by the extent to which conviviality, (all that is peaceful, harmonious and sociable) has been attained. Yet conviviality is t just reliant on love and good but instead on an even balance between all that is constructive, love, and all that is destructive, anger. With case studies from across the South American region, ranging from the (so-called) fierce Yamami of Venezuela and Brazil to the Enxet of Paraguay, and with discussions on topics from the efficacy of laughter, the role of language, anger as a marker of love and even homesickness, The Anthropology of Love and Anger is a seminal, fascinating work which should be read by all students and academics in the post-colonial world.
- Author BiographyJoanna Overing is Professor and Chair of the Social Anthropology Department, University of St. Andrews and Director for the Centre for indigenous American Studies at St. Andrews. Alan Passes is a novelist, screenwriter and anthropologist.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication12/10/2000
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight498 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byAlan Passes,Joanna Overing
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.86
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.84
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.03
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.20
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.29
- AU $9.81Trending at AU $13.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.