All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTo walk on remnants of the storied Appian Way today, from Rome to the heel of Italy, is to walk in the footsteps of ghosts. Our guide to those ghosts-and the layers of history they represent-is Robert A. Kaster. In The Appian Way, he brings a lifetime of studying Roman literature and history to his adventures along the ancient highway. A footsore Roman soldier pushing the imperial power south; craftsmen and farmers bringing their goods to the towns that lined the road; pious pilgrims headed to Jerusalem-all come to life once more as Kaster travels what's left of the Appian Way. He invites us to close our eyes and trek with him back in time, to the campaigns of Garibaldi, the revolt of Spartacus, and the glory days of Imperial Rome. No traveler will want to miss this fascinating journey.
- Author BiographyRobert A. Kaster is professor of classics and the Kennedy Foundation Professor of Latin at Princeton University.
- Author(s)Robert A. Kaster
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication02/05/2014
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Series TitleCulture Trails: Adventures in Travel
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note24 halftones, 3 line drawings
- Weight168 g
- Width85 mm
- Height55 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.11Trending at AU $24.23
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.37
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.