All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $36.19Trending at AU $38.17
About this product
- DescriptionOne of England's greatest Victorian architectural practices was based, t in London, but in the relatively quiet town of Lancaster. For just over a century the leading practice in the area was that of Sharpe, Paley and Austin. It was founded, just at the start of the Victorian Gothic Revival, by the remarkable, multi-talented Edmund Sharpe - architect, engineer, businessman, politician and winner of the Royal Institute of British Architect's Royal Gold Medal for his work in architectural history. E G Paley developed the practice and took on in 1867 the man who elevated it to greatness - Hubert Austin, described as an architect of genius by Pevsner. The firm established a national reputation, especially for its many fine churches, ranging from great urban masterpieces to delightful country ones, which are imbued with the spirit of the Arts & Crafts movement. The practice was extraordinarily prolific and took on commissions for almost every imaginable building type - country houses, railways, schools, factories, an asylum and commercial premises in addition to the churches. The book explores with the aid of Austin's great-grandson, t only the firm's buildings but also a fascinating web of family and professional interconnections which provide the backdrop to the story. It is richly illustrated, including family photographs never previously published. This treatment will appeal to architectural historians, students of the architecture of the Victorian and Edwardian eras and social historians.
- Author BiographyGeoff Brandwood is an architectural historian and a Former Chairman of the Victorian Society.
- Author(s)Geoff Brandwood
- PublisherEnglish Heritage
- Date of Publication21/05/2012
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEnglish Heritage
- Content Note330
- Weight1479 g
- Width219 mm
- Height276 mm
- Spine28 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.