All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Arena Concert: Music, Media and Mass Entertainment is the first sustained engagement with what might said to be - in its melding of concert and gathering, in its evolving relationship with digital and social media, in its delivery of event, experience, techlogy and star - the art form of the 21st century. This volume offers interviews with key designers, discussions of the practicalities of mounting arena concerts, mixing and performing live to a mass audience, recollections of the giants of late twentieth century music in performance, and critiques of latter-day pretenders to the throne. The authors track the evolution of the arena concert, consider design and architecture, celebrity and fashion, and turn to feminism, ethgraphic research, and ideas of humour, liveness and authenticity, in order to explore and frame the arena concert. The arena concert becomes the real time centre of a global digital network, and the gig-goer pays t only for an immersion in (and, indeed, role in) its spectacular nature, but also for a close encounter with the performers, in this contained and exalted space. The spectacular nature of the arena concert raises challenges that have yet to be fully techlogically overcome, and has given rise to a reinvention of what live music actually means. Love it or loathe it, the arena concert is a major presence in the cultural landscape of the 21st century. This volume finds out why.
- Author BiographyRobert Edgar is a Senior Lecturer in the Faculty of Arts at York St John University, UK. Kirsty Fairclough-Isaacs is Senior Lecturer in Media and Performance and Associate Director (International) in the School of Arts and Media at the University of Salford, UK. Benjamin Halligan is Director of Postgraduate Research for the College of Arts and Social Sciences, University of Salford, UK. Nicola Spelman is Senior Lecturer in Popular Music in the School of Arts and Media at the University of Salford, UK.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing Plc
- Date of Publication19/11/2015
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic USA
- Content Note25 mono images
- Weight517 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byBenjamin Halligan,Kirsty Fairclough-Isaacs,Nicola Spelman,Robert Edgar
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.95
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.