Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $17.29
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.24
- AU $92.35Trending at AU $103.70
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.66
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.45
- AU $23.99Trending at AU $25.67
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $23.62
About this product
- DescriptionWINNER OF THE INDEPENDENT FOREIGN FICTION PRIZE 2009 In a small town in the mountains of Colombia, Ismael, a retired teacher, spends his mornings gathering oranges in the sunshine and spying on his neighbour as she sunbathes naked in her garden. Returning from a walk one morning he discovers that his wife has disappeared. Then more people go missing, and t-so-distant gunfire signals the approach of war. Most of the villagers make their escape, but Ismael cant leave without his Otilia. He becomes an unwilling witness to the senseless civil war that sweeps through his country with a tragic inevitability. In The Armies Rosero has created a hallucinatory, relentless, captivating narrative often as violent as the events it describes, told by an old man battered by a reality he longer recognizes.
- Author BiographyEvelio Rosero studied Social Communication in the Externado University of Colombia. In 2006 he was awarded the Tusquets National Prize for Literature in Colombia for his novel The Armies, which was also the winner of the Independent Foreign Fiction Prize.
- PrizesWinner of Independent Foreign Fiction Prize 2009 and Premio Tusquets Editores de Novela 2006.
- Author(s)Evelio Rosero
- PublisherQuercus Publishing
- Date of Publication04/02/2010
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMacLehose Press
- Weight160 g
- Width130 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Translated byAnne McLean
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.