All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSuccess on the web is measured by usage and growth. Web-based companies live or die by the ability to scale their infrastructure to accommodate increasing demand. This book is a hands-on and practical guide to planning for such growth, as it discusses the many techniques and considerations needed to plan, deploy, and manage infrastructure for a growing web application. The Art of Capacity Planning is written by the manager of data operations for the world-famous photo-sharing site Flickr.com (owned by Yahoo!).John Allspaw draws on years of experience, starting from the days when Flickr was relatively small and had to deal with the typical growth pains and cost/performance trade-offs of a typical company with a Web presence. He combines personal anecdotes from many phases of Flickr's growth with insights from his colleagues in many other industries to give you solid guidelines for measuring your growth, predicting trends, and making cost-effective preparations. The topics include: Evaluating tools for measurement and deployment; Capacity analysis and prediction for storage, database, and application servers; Designing architectures to easily add and measure capacity; Handling sudden spikes; Predicting exponential and explosive growth; and How cloud services such as EC2 can fit into a capacity strategy.
- Author BiographyJohn Allspaw, currently Operations Engineering Manager at Flickr, has extensive experience working with websites that have grown exponentially, including Salon.com, InfoWorld.com, Macworld.com, Friendster, and Flickr. At Friendster, he was responsible for their transition from a couple of dozen servers in a failing data center to over 400 machines across two data centers, and the complete redesign of the backing infrastructure.
- Author(s)John Allspaw
- PublisherO'Reilly Media, Inc, USA
- Date of Publication03/10/2008
- SubjectComputing: Professional & Programming
- Place of PublicationSebastopol
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintO'Reilly Media, Inc, USA
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight249 g
- Width178 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.24
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.23
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.52
- AU $28.11Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.00
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.46
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $22.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.