All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.40
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.82
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $118.00
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $109.01
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.40
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.95
About this product
- DescriptionBased on an exhibition of 85 exceptional works from American private collections and the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of African Art inWashington, this book joins the few publications devoted to the artistic traditions of Southern Africa. Astoundingly diverse and limitless in their inventiveness, materials, forms, and styles, works from this part of the continent defy specific ethnic attribution. Small and portable in nature-snuff containers,pipes, headrests, staffs, sticks, beer vessels, beaded garments-they were created by semimadic cattle-herding peoples and primarily intended for daily use.Their softened edges and lustrous patinas are obvious signs of wear and tear. Whether figurative or abstract, carved out of wood, ivory, or horn, or made of cloth, glass beads, or clay, most of the works presented in this publication were much more than exquisitely designed functional objects.
- Author BiographyConstantine Petridis is a member of the Belgian Royal Academy for Overseas Sciences, Curator of African Art at the Cleveland Museum of Art and Adjunct Professor of Art History at CaseWestern Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio. His Art and Power in the Central African Savanna won the 2008 Midwest Art History Society Award for Outstanding Exhibition Catalogue. Karel Nel, Associate Professor in the Department of Visual Arts at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, has published widely on the arts of Southern Africa.
- Author(s)Constantine Petridis,Karel Nel
- PublisherFive Continents Editions
- Date of Publication01/04/2011
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationMilan
- Country of PublicationItaly
- First Published2011
- ImprintFive Continents Editions
- Content Note100 full-color and 50 b&w illustrations
- Weight752 g
- Width239 mm
- Height285 mm
- Spine11 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.