All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book offers a concise and highly readable account of the visual art of David Jones (1895-1974). It challenges the simplistic view of Jones as an outsider or an eccentric, exploring his work instead in relation to the wider cultural and intellectual climate of his times. The authors focus on works of outstanding quality, including engravings from the 1920s, watercolours from 1926-32 and the most significant of Jones's later mythological drawings as well as his studies of trees and chalices and his unique painted inscriptions. Analysis of Jones's technical virtuosity in diverse media enlarges our understanding of his highly original visual language and the symbolism that sustains it. The book also explores the relation of Jones's art to his Christian faith and his understanding of place and history. Copiously illustrated, The Art of David Jones t only offers fresh insight into the career of a multi-talented British artist, but also adds to our understanding of the art and cultural history of Britain from the First World War through to the 1960s.
- Author BiographyAriane Bankes worked for many years in publishing and the commercial art world. Her articles and reviews have appeared in a range of publications including the Spectator, the RA Magazine and the Times Literary Supplement. She edits the Charleston Trust's magazine Canvas, and she collaborated with Jonathan Reekie on The New Aldeburgh Anthology (2009). Paul Hills is Professor Emeritus at the Courtauld Institute of Art in London. He curated the major David Jones retrospective at the Tate in 1981 and convened the centenary conference on the artist at the University of Warwick in 1995. His previous publications include The Light of Early Italian Painting (1987) and Venetian Colour: Marble, Mosaic, Painting and Glass, 1250-1550 (1999).
- Author(s)Ariane Bankes,Paul Hills
- PublisherLund Humphries Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication28/09/2015
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintLund Humphries Publishers Ltd
- Content NoteIncludes 104 colour and 48 b&w illustrations
- Weight1202 g
- Width228 mm
- Height270 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.