All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe embroidery of Jane E Hall is breathtaking, and in this gorgeous book she combines her love of butterflies with her outstanding talent as a textile artist to produce three-dimensional renditions of exquisitely worked butterflies that are almost indistinguishable from the real thing. Using the finest of silk threads and needles, Jane lovingly creates her butterflies' wings using the tiniest of stitches worked on to silk. They are then carefully cut away and the edges strengthened with hair-fine wire before being attached to the bodies, carefully crafted from air-drying modelling medium and brushed with whisper-fine threads to resemble hairs. The butterflies are then placed within a setting of silk leaves and flowers, all made with the same painstaking attention to detail and expert skill as the butterflies themselves. This book provides a fascinating introduction to butterflies in nature, reflecting Jane's love and admiration for these exquisite creatures, and goes on to describe the materials and methods Jane uses to produce her incredible creations. Twelve projects, each based on a different butterfly including the Painted Lady, Small Tortoiseshell and the Brimstone, present the finished piece along with the materials Jane used, and the photographs, swatches, drawings and paintings that inspired it. One of the most striking features of this book is the amazing photography of Jane's work, including detailed close-ups, which, together with Jane's poetic and inspiring text, make this a book that anyone who is an artist, embroiderer, textile artist or simply a lover of beautiful books - will want to own.
- Author BiographyJane E Hall studied at Bournemouth & Poole College of Art and Design, achieving a Diploma in Foundation Studies, and then moved on to Loughborough College of Art and Design where she received a Certificate in Design Embroidery, being awarded a distinction. Since leaving college she has worked professionally as a textile artist. She has held numerous exhibitions, has her work held in private collections, and has worked on significant commissions, three of which are on public display. Jane's work has been featured extensively on TV and in magazines.
- Author(s)Jane E. Hall
- PublisherSearch Press Ltd
- Date of Publication20/09/2012
- SubjectHandicrafts, Arts & Crafts
- Place of PublicationTunbridge Wells
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSearch Press Ltd
- Content Note100 colour illustrations
- Weight862 g
- Width216 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine16 mm
Most relevant reviews
- enid19490211 Aug, 2017by
Lovely embroidery book
Photos are beautiful
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: Pre-owned
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.83
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.