All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $54.70
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.60
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $23.23
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.31
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $56.23
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.68
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.29
About this product
- DescriptionThe art of the painter, sculptor and printmaker, Hussein Madi has been exhibited worldwide, at such venues as the British Museum, the Venice Biennale and Tokyo's Ue Museum. This long-overdue published retrospective contains an invaluable overview of the Lebanese-born Madi's work over the past four decades, in which his intensely personal fusion of European and Islamic influences presents itself with a force that is both arresting and subtle. Madi's joyful experiments in colour and form have resulted in a unique body of work that relates to modern artists like Matisse and Picasso, as well as to the principles of divine harmony that inform the abstract designs of Islamic art. Whether in two or three dimensions, Madi's lines sing with a spontaneous freedom that belies the careful, even exacting, calculations that the artist invests in each work. This combination of meticulousness and sensuality is everywhere evident in Madi's work, inspired by his profound belief in 'God's universal order, in which everything is different and yet composed of the same cosmic elements.' A tireless and highly prolific artist, Madi has produced countless works in a variety of media. This book - with over 500 colour plates - will serve as a touchstone for both long-time admirers and initiates to his oeuvre.
- Author BiographyHussein Madi, painter, sculptor and printmaker, is considered among the Arab world's foremost artists. Born in 1938 in Chebaa, Lebanon, Madi studied painting at the Lebanese Academy of Fine Arts in Beirut. In 1963 he travelled to Rome to pursue his studies - at the Accademia di Belle Arti, the Accademia San Giacomo, and a number of the city's free ateliers. Madi resided in Rome for the next twenty-two years, eventually obtaining Italian citizenship. In 1987 he returned to live permanently in Lebanon. He has had more than sixty solo exhibitions worldwide.
- Author(s)Hussein Madi
- PublisherSaqi Books
- Date of Publication24/03/2005
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSaqi Books
- Content Note500+ pl
- Weight2186 g
- Width250 mm
- Height310 mm
- Spine30 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.