All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExperienced scullers kw already, and the uninitiated will soon learn: blending the countless details of balance, stroke, sculls, and shell into the steady, seemingly effortless rhythm of a good row is easy task. Yet when those elements mesh, the result is exhilarating. Whether you're an experienced masters sculler looking for an edge in the next Head of the Charles regatta or a vice interested in developing an enjoyable exercise program, The Art of Sculling demystifies both the basics and complexities of a sport that brings health and satisfaction to tens of thousands of people worldwide. Joe Paduda, a competitive rower, exercise physiologist, and coach of both high school and senior rowing club crews, wrote The Art of Sculling with a coach's eye, taking you through the same natural progression he's seen countless scullers follow - from your first row through advanced training techniques. Paduda begins with the basics, builds on them, then further refines them in a formula that fits both vice and veteran. Here in 12 amply illustrated chapters is everything from choosing the right boat and the right workout to drills for improving your bladework and advice for improving your diet. Recreational rower or racing master, single or team, it's all here. Here also are simple, uncluttered explanations on how your body works and responds to training and diet, and how to get the most from both. With The Art of Sculling , you'll have your own private coach and trainer alongside as you expand your rowing horizons. Here's expert advice from rower, coach, and exercise physiologist Joe Paduda that will help you improve your rowing, whether you're a vice or a 20-year veteran. This book includes: drills to master bladework and technique; tips on rigging and maintaining your gear; how to develop the right diet and training program; physiology simplified - with clear, uncluttered explanations of how your body responds to exercise and nutrition, and how to make the most of it; selecting a racing strategy, whether for singles or team boats; and, much more. 'Sculling is a fantastic sport. Here's an excellent book for anyone looking to improve their skill. Good rowing' - Brad Lewis, Olympic Gold Medalist, author, Assault on Lake Casitas . 'Paduda's voice is one of an experienced coach who can communicate some fairly subtle points in an ecomical, commonsense way' - American Rowing .
- Author BiographyJoe Paduda began rowing competitively as a member of the varsity crew of Virginia's Yorktown High school in 1974. A four-year member of the Syracuse University crew, he's a seven-time medalist at the National Championships of the U.S. Rowing Association and the Intercollegiate Rowing Association. Paduda added four years of coaching in the Washington, D.C., area while continuing his own competitive rowing with the Potomac Boat Club and the Capital Rowing Club and earning a master's degree in Health/Fitness Management from American University. He continues to row in masters competitions, sprinkling his fitness regimen with stints on a mountain bike, speed skates, and cross-country skis while living and working in Connecticut. Les Henig, a certifited professional photographer with more than 20 years' experience, is a member of the Professional Photographers of America and a past president of the Maryland Professional Photographers Association. He works from his office in Garrett Park, Maryland.
- Author(s)Joe Paduda
- PublisherMcGraw-Hill Education - Europe
- Date of Publication01/12/1991
- SubjectWater Sports
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRagged Mountain Press
- Weight315 g
- Width185 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine15 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $37.71
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.40
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.22
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.32
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $39.61
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.70
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $32.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.