All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.83
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.29
- AU $67.69Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.12
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.48
About this product
- DescriptionThis text links two major areas of historical inquiry: crime and delinquency with war and social change. In a study based on archival research, Sarah Fishman reveals the impact of the Vichy regime on one of history's most silent groups - children - and offers enlightening information about the Vichy administration. Fishman examines how French children experienced the events of war and the German occupation, demonstrating that ecomic deprivation, t family dislocation, drove up juvenile crime rates. Wartime circumstances led authorities to view delinquent mirs as victims, and provided the opportunity for reformers in psychiatry, social work, and law to transform France's punitive juvenile justice system into a profoundly therapeutic one. Vichy-era legislation thus formed the foundation of the modern juvenile justice system in France, which rarely incarcerates delinquent youth. In her examination of the critical but unexpected role the war and the authoritarian Vichy regime played in the transformation of France's juvenile courts and institutions, Fishman has enriched our kwledge of daily life in France during World War II, refined our understanding of Vichy's place in the historical development of France, and provided valuable insights into contemporary debates on juvenile justice.
- Author BiographySarah Fishman is Associate Professor of History at the University of Houston.
- Author(s)Sarah Fishman
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication08/07/2002
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleHarvard Historical Studies
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 142
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Content Note1 line illustration, 1 table
- Weight608 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.