All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the skies above south-east England in 1940, battle was waged between the men and machines of the Royal Air Force and Hitler's Luftwaffe. At stake was air superiority, and the Germans intended this to be a first step in the invasion of Britain. Squadrons of Hurricanes and Spitfires - then among the best and most modern fighter aircraft in the world - took on the threat and, over a period of months, defeated the Luftwaffe, which ultimately withdrew. This fully illustrated history looks at the origins and events of the battle, but focuses especially on the men and women of the RAF and on the ordinary people of the nation, above whose heads the great battle for freedom was waged.
- Author BiographyNeil Storey is a social and military historian specialising in the impact of war on society. He has written over 25 books, countless articles and has given lectures across the UK, including at the Imperial War Museum. He has acted as a consultant on a number of television documentaries and dramas.
- Author(s)Neil R. Storey
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication20/01/2012
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleShire Library
- Series Part/Volume Number644
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintShire Publications Ltd
- Content Note50 b/w; 30 col
- Weight153 g
- Width149 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.34Trending at AU $49.62
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.74
- AU $28.60Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $70.35Trending at AU $77.45
- AU $74.11Trending at AU $76.83
- AU $35.47Trending at AU $39.18
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.70
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.