Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.40
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.82
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $118.00
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $109.01
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.40
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.95
About this product
- DescriptionThis book contains a variety of subject matter, styles, and lengths. The subject matter ranges from romance to war, fantasy to reality, and humor to death. It contains many contest winning poems.
- Author BiographyJames Walter Orr was born on a ranch, north-east of Amarillo, Texas on June the second in 1930. He joined the Navy at seventeen. He was recommended for the Naval Academy and won an appointment through Fleet Competition, and decided not to accept. In 1951 he married the former Della May McDowell. May was seventeen and James was twenty. They celebrated their 58th wedding anniversary in May of 2009. They had four sons, one of whom was killed in a truck accident shortly before turning two. He moved to Dallas and took a job in the engineering department of a large company, and began studying engineering at a major university. Interspersed among the engineering courses, Orr took courses in Creative Writing, Magazine Article Writing, and the regular English classes. Orr won the Most Versatile Writer's Award of 1961. He was offered a sponsorship from a Dallas businessman. The sponsorship included the same salary he was earning, an office, a secretary and free marketing. About this same time, the company Orr was working for wanted to send him to France to work. The glamour of France overcame Orr's desire to accept the deal offered by the businessman, and he left his studies at the university, and went to France. This was followed by other assignments that required him to live and work in England, back to France, to Germany and Curacao. Some time later, Orr resigned from the company and went to live on a ranch he had built up in south-eastern Oklahoma, near the spot where he had finished high school. He began writing again, and sold the ranch and moved to Corpus Christi, Texas, to be near the sea. The great hurricane back around 1971 hit on that day. The novel had been typed on a manual Remington portable typewriter, with the carbon copy neatly stacked nearby. A sodden lump of pulp remained after the windows blew out of the house. This was a catastrophic end his second novel. Orr has two books of poetry in print. A third is expected to be released during June, 2009. Many poems found in the two books offered have won contests. The author has been well received for personal appearances. His poetry reading videos on his YouTube channel have received good reviews He is a past member of the Texas Poetry Society and the Dallas Scribbler's Club. He writes fiction, humor, satire, poetry and essays. He lives with his wife in Mesquite, Texas.
- Author(s)James Walter Orr
- Date of Publication15/06/2009
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight249 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.