All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.59Trending at AU $31.89
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.92
- AU $29.93Trending at AU $31.44
- AU $46.03Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $12.75Trending at AU $13.19
- AU $19.76Trending at AU $20.49
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $24.67
About this product
- DescriptionThe Beetle (1897) tells the story of a fantastical creature, born of neither god r man, with supernatural and hyptic powers, who stalks British politician Paul Lessingham through fin de siecle London in search of vengeance for the defilement of a sacred tomb in Egypt. In imitation of various popular fiction genres of the late nineteenth century, Marsh unfolds a tale of terror, late imperial fears, and the return of the repressed, through which the crisis of late imperial Englishness is revealed. This Broadview edition includes a critical introduction and a rich selection of historical documents that situate the vel within the contexts of fin de siecle London, England's interest and involvement in Egypt, the emergence of the New Woman, and contemporary theories of mesmerism and animal magnetism.
- Author BiographyJulian Wolfreys is a Professor of English at the University of Florida, Gainsville.
- Author(s)Richard Marsh
- PublisherBroadview Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/03/2004
- SubjectHorror & Ghost Stories
- Series TitleBroadview Editions
- Place of PublicationPeterborough
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintBroadview Press Ltd
- Weight412 g
- Width148 mm
- Height204 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Edited byJulian Wolfreys
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.