All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.67
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.43
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $17.07Trending at AU $23.51
About this product
- DescriptionThis book explores the provenance of the so-called Berkeley Herm of Plato, a sculptural portrait that Stephen G. Miller first encountered over thirty years ago in a university storage basement. The head, languishing since its arrival in 1902, had become detached from the body, or herm, and had been labeled a fake. In 2002, while preparing ather book, Miller - w an experienced archaeologist - needed an illustration of Plato, remembered this piece, and took ather look. The marble, he recognized immediately, was from the Greek islands, the inscription appeared ancient, and the ribbons visible on the head were typical of those in Greek athletic scenes. The Berkeley Plato , rich in scientific, archaeological, and historical detail, tells the fascinating story of how Miller was able to authenticate this long-dismissed treasure. His conclusion, that it is an ancient Roman copy possibly dating from the time of Hadrian, is further supported by art conservation scientist John Twilley, whose essay appears as an appendix. Miller's discovery makes a significant contribution to the worlds of art history, philosophy, archaeology, and sports history and will serve as a starting point for new research in the back rooms of museums.
- Author BiographyStephen G. Miller is Professor Emeritus of Classical Archaeology at the University of California, Berkeley. He is the author of many books, including Arete: Greek Sports from the Ancient Sources, Third Edition (UC Press). John Twilley is an independent art conservation scientist.
- Author(s)Stephen G. Miller
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication04/11/2009
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note7 color illustrations, 101 b/w photographs
- Weight463 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.