All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA vast readership wants better access to the ancient words and ideas of the Bible. In The Bible Doesn't Say That, Dr. Joel M. Hoffman walks the reader through dozens of instances of mistranslations, misconceptions, and other misunderstandings about the Bible. In 40 short chapters, Hoffman covers fundamental theology, morality, lifestyle, and biblical imagery: The famous New Testament quotation God so loved the world is a mistranslation, as are the titles Son of Man and Son of God. The Bible doesn't call homosexuality a sin, and it doesn't advocate for the one-man-one-woman model of the family that has been dubbed biblical. Jesus had siblings, in spite of the Catholic rhetoric about the ever-Virgin Mary. The Ten Commandments don't prohibit killing or coveting. Even many of the Bible's details end up distorted: the fruit in the Garden of Eden wasn't an apple, it wasn't a whale that swallowed Jonah, and many animals marched onto Noah's ark in groups of seven, t pairs. The Bible Doesn't Say That succinctly explains each misunderstanding, detailing the nature of what went wrong and offering insight into the original meaning of the world's most popular book.
- Author BiographyJOEL M. HOFFMAN, PhD, is the author of <i>In the Beginning</i>, <i>And God Said, </i>and <i>The Bible's Cutting Room Floor</i>. He is the chief translator for the series <i>My People's Prayer Book</i> (winner of the National Jewish Book Award) and for <i>My People's Passover Haggadah</i>. He is an occasional contributor to <i>The Jerusalem Post</i> and <i>The Huffington Post</i> and has held faculty appointments at Brandeis University and at Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion. He lives in Westchester, New York.
- Author(s)Joel M. Hoffman
- PublisherThomas Dunne Books
- Date of Publication22/02/2016
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThomas Dunne Books
- Weight363 g
- Width139 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.