All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBHP is part of Australia's DNA; but it remains an enigma. The Big Fella: The rise and rise of BHP Billiton is the compelling story of how BHP and its partner Billiton rose from the humblest beginnings in the Australian Outback and on the Indonesian island of Belitung to starry heights on the great bourses of the world. Based on more than 60 exclusive interviews, it rips away the superficial gloss to expose the political and industrial forces that really drive Big Business in the 21st century. In an investigative tour de force, authors Peter Thompson and Robert Macklin reveal the visions, the schemes, the scandals and the corporate life-and-death struggles that have characterised BHP's evolution from the first lucky strike by the mysterious Charles Rasp at Broken Hill in 1883 to its merger with Billiton in 2001 to its daring $150 billion bid for Rio Tinto six years later. The result is a gripping story of foresight and blunder, of nation-building and rampant ego, of greed and of grace, written by two master storytellers with, for the first time, access to the key players themselves. The Big Fella won the 2010 Blake Dawson Prize for Business Literature.
- Author BiographyPeter Thompson and Robert Macklin, both former newspapermen, have written some 25 books between them, including four titles as co-authors. Peter Thompson turned to full time writing following a 20-year career as a Fleet Street journalist in which he rose to night editor and deputy editor of the Daily Mirror and editor of the Sunday Mirror. His most recent book is Pacific Fury (Random House, 2008). Robert Macklin wrote for the leading Australian newspapers and The Bulletin magazine. During 12 years at the Canberra Times from 1991 he was Arts Editor and then Associate Editor of the paper. His most recent book is a biography of Kevin Rudd (Penguin, 2007).
- PrizesWinner of Blake Dawson Prize for Business Literature 2010.
- Author(s)Peter Thompson,Robert Macklin
- PublisherRandom House Australia
- Date of Publication02/08/2010
- SubjectManagement & Business: General
- Place of PublicationNorth Sydney
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- First Published2010
- ImprintRandom House Australia
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, colour illustrations
- Weight368 g
- Width131 mm
- Height199 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.69Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.39
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.