All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDescription Produced behind closed doors, disposed of discreetly, hidden by euphemism, shit is rarely out in the open in 'civilised' society, but the world of waste - and the people who deal with it, work with it and in it - is a rich one. This book takes us underground to the sewers of NYC and London and overground, to meet the heroes of India's sanitation movement, American sewage schoolteachers, the Japanese genius at the cutting edge of toilet techlogy, and the biosolids lobbying team. With a journalist's se for story, and a campaigner's desire for change, Rose George also addresses the politics of this under-reported social and environmental effluent, and the consequences of our reluctance to talk about it. Witty and original, The Big Necessity proves that shit doesn't have to be a dirty word.
- Author BiographyROSE GEORGE is a freelance writer and journalist whose first book, A Life Removed: Hunting for Refuge in the Modern World, was long-listed for the Ulysses Reportage Prize. She contributes regularly to the LRB, Guardian, Independent and others.
- Author(s)Rose George
- PublisherGranta Books
- Date of Publication06/07/2009
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPortobello Books Ltd
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.