All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe definitive story of the medium that defines our times The Big Screen tells the enthralling story of the movies: their rise and spread, their remarkable influence over us, and the techlogy that made the screen as important as the images it carries. But The Big Screen is t ather history of the movies. Rather, it is a wide-ranging narrative about the movies and their signal role in modern life. The celebrated film authority David Thomson takes us around the globe, through time, and across many media to tell the complex, gripping, paradoxical story of the movies. He tracks the ways we were initially enchanted by movies as imitations of life the stories, the stars, the look and how we allowed them to show us how to live. At the same time, movies, offering a seductive escape from everyday reality and its responsibilities, have made it possible for us to evade life altogether. The entranced audience has become a model for powerless and anxiety-ridden citizens trying to pursue happiness and dodge terror by sitting quietly in a dark room. Does the big screen take us out into the world or merely mesmerize us? That is Thomson's question in this grand adventure of a book, vital to anyone trying to make sense of the age of screens the age that, more than ever, we are living in.
- Author BiographyDavid Thomson, renowned as one of the great living authorities on the movies, is the author of The New Biographical Dictionary of Film, now in its fifth edition. His books include a biography of Nicole Kidman and The Whole Equation: A History of Hollywood. Thomson is also the author of the acclaimed Have You Seen . . . ? : A Personal Introduction to 1,000 Films. Born in London in 1941, he now lives in San Francisco.
- Author(s)MR David Thomson
- PublisherFarrar Straus Giroux
- Date of Publication15/10/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFarrar Straus Giroux
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight549 g
- Width141 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine40 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.24
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.23
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.52
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.77
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.00
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.46
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.41
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.