All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.54Trending at AU $31.76
- AU $55.54Trending at AU $56.64
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.42
- AU $29.92Trending at AU $31.26
- AU $46.03Trending at AU $52.51
- AU $12.69Trending at AU $13.11
- AU $41.46Trending at AU $49.24
About this product
- DescriptionSalonika in 1916 is a city more than half-Jewish and, until a few months ago, one of the jewels in the Ottoman crown. It is w suddenly Greek. Nominally neutral, it is filled with French, British and Serbian soldiers defending it against the Austro-German and Bulgarian forces to the rth. In a city seething with intrigue, cafe society continues unperturbed and the native inhabitants make from the soldiers what money they can. Young nurses from the Women's Hospital join seasoned soldiers, and Kite Balloonists must trade their traditional chivalry towards the enemy against the need to survive. In this sparkling tale, the spirits of Wodehouse and Waugh meet those of Biggles and R C Sherriff, and the sense of time and place is impeccably vivid and real. The breathless ride is just beginning
- Author BiographyClive Aslet, former Editor of Country Life, and now its Editor at Large, is a prolific writer on Architecture, Style, the British way of life and issues related to the countryside. He was inspired to write The Birdcage, his first work of fiction, by research for his recent non-fiction book War Memorial, which opened the window on an almost-forgotten theatre of the First World War.
- Author(s)Clive Aslet
- PublisherSandstone Press Ltd
- Date of Publication16/06/2016
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationDingwall
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSandstone Press Ltd
- Width128 mm
- Height198 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.