All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $44.08Trending at AU $51.53
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.83
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $19.26
About this product
- DescriptionThe quintessential A-Z guide, this is a book that anyone interested in birds will want to have close at hand. First published more than twenty years ago, this highly respected reference volume has been fully revised and updated. It captures the fundamental details as well as the immense fascination of North American bird life in a style that is authoritative, yet fresh, witty, and eminently readable. Both a practical handbook for amateurs and a handy reference for seasoned birders, it provides accounts of the basic elements of birdlife, as well as a wealth of easy-to-access information on such subjects as bird physiology and anatomy, terms and jargon, name definitions and etymology, and ornithological groupings. Readers will discover everything from the color of a dipper's eggs (glossy, white, and unmarked) to the number of species of woodpeckers in the world (216).They will also find more than one hundred of the best-kwn and most colorful colloquial names for birds, alphabetized and briefly defined. Collective uns relating to birdlife - for example, 'an exaltation of larks' - are included in the 'Nouns of Assemblage' section. Biographical sketches of persons responsible for describing or naming a significant number of North American species are also included, as well as handsome and accurate illustrations by Gordon Morrison. For those who want to go beyond reading about their favorite birds and take to the great outdoors, the book offers still more useful information: descriptive entries on a selection of the best-kwn bird-watching spots of North America.
- Author BiographyChristopher W. Leahy holds the Gerard A. Bertrand Chair of Natural History and Field Ornithology at the Massachusetts Audubon Society. He is the author of The Nature of Massachusetts and First Guide to Insects . Gordon Morrison has been a nature illustrator for over thirty-five years, and has illustrated more than two dozen books on natural history.
- Author(s)Christopher W. Leahy
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication28/08/2006
- SubjectLife Sciences: Zoology
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note35 line illus.
- Weight1342 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine47 mm
- Illustrator(s)Gordon Morrison
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.