All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $132.35Trending at AU $140.31
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.92Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $51.80
- AU $41.91Trending at AU $52.43
About this product
- DescriptionTesting for genetic diseases or traits is a rapidly developing practice, the most widely used form of testing currently in use being newborn screening. Based on a five-year research project and winner of the Prix 'Le Monde' for academic research in France, The Birth of a Genetics Policy analyses the three dimensions - scientific, political and moral - of the social issues raised by a policy of screening for the genetic disease of cystic fibrosis amongst babies. Drawing on extensive interview material and observational research, it explores the conditions under which a screening policy is decided upon and implemented, the types of political logic underlying it, and the effects it has on rms and values. Revealing the ties that exist between forms of biomedical kwledge and political techniques, whilst showing how the tion of biomedical abrmality is being extended, this book sheds light on judgements surrounding the idea of the 'quality (of) life'. A rigorous examination of the discourses and practices of medical genetics in the early twenty-first century, The Birth of a Genetics Policy will appeal to sociologists and anthropologists with interests in medicine and the body, evidence-based care and questions of biopolitics and governmentality.
- Author BiographyJoA lle Vailly is Senior Researcher at the National Institute for Health and Medical Research (Inserm) and at the research center 'Interdisciplinary Research Institute on Social Issues' (Iris), France.
- Author(s)Joelle Vailly
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication09/12/2013
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight574 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine14 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.