All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJoel Walker Sweeney was, in essence, the Elvis Presley of the 1840s. A professional banjo player, Sweeney introduced mainstream America to a music (and musical instrument) which had its roots in the transplanted black culture of the southern slave. Sweeney, an Irish-American born midway between Richmond and Lynchburg, Virginia, sampled African American music at a young age. He then added more traditional southern sounds to the music he heard, in essence creating a new musical form. The only avenue available to a professional banjo player was that of traveling minstrelsy shows and it was this route which Sweeney used to bring his music to the attention of the public. Beginning with the banjo's introduction to America and Great Britain, the book provides an overview of early banjo music. The volume then discusses the evolution of American minstrelsy (i.e., black face) and the opportunities it provided for artists such as Sweeney. Correcting previous fallacies and misconceptions (such as Sweeney's supposed development of the five-string banjo), the work discusses Sweeney's roots, his music and his contribution to the physical development of the instrument. An appendix contains a performance chrology. The work is also indexed.
- Author BiographyMusician and writer Bob Carlin is the author of String Bands in the North Carolina Piedmont (2004). His articles have been published in Journal of Country Music and Bluegrass Unlimited. He lives in Lexington, North Carolina.
- Author(s)Bob Carlin
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication15/05/2007
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Notephotographs, notes, index
- Weight354 g
- Width177 mm
- Height255 mm
- Spine12 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $59.37
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.71
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.92
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $33.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.