All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.80Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.93
About this product
- DescriptionImages of animals are all around us. Yet the visibility offered by wildlife photography can't help but contribute to an image of the animal as fundamentally separate from the human. Yet how can we get closer to animals without making them aware of us or changing their relationship to their environment? 'The Blind' might be the answer. Developed for naturalists by the Institute of Critical Zoologists, the blind is a camouflage cloak that works on the principle that an object vanishes from sight if light rays striking it are t reflected, but are instead forced to flow around as if it were t there. In fifty stunning colour photographs, this volume shows the cloak tested in nature reserves, grasslands, and urban environments. The Blind offers an opportunity to explore how we see animals in photography and, in parallel to this exploration which questions the human attitude towards animals, the text examines the role of Darwin's evolutionary theory in the context of human relations. It critically opens up for discussion the relevance of Social Darwinism in shaping our current worldviews in the fields of geopolitics, social sciences and humanitarian relief.
- Author BiographyAlfredo Cramerotti (1967) is a writer, curator and artist based in the UK. His cultural practice explores the relationship between reality and representation across a variety of media and collaborations such as TV, radio, publishing, media festivals, writing and exhibition curating. He holds an MA in Art in Context (University of the Arts Berlin), was a participant in the Critical Studies Program (Lund University/Malmo Art Academy) and Fellow Art Theory and Criticism (Kunstlerhaus Buchsenhausen Innsbruck). Among his recent research and curatorial activity: co-curator, Manifesta 8 European biennial of contemporary art (2009-2011); curator, QUAD Derby (2008-present), co-curator, CPS Chamber of Public Secrets (2004-present) and AGM Annual General Meeting (2003-present).
- Author(s)Matthew Brower,Peter Nowogrodzki
- PublisherIntellect Books
- Date of Publication01/07/2012
- Series TitleCritical Photography
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintIntellect Books
- Content NoteIllustrations (colour)
- Weight386 g
- Width230 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edited byAlfredo Cramerotti
- Illustrator(s)Renhui Zhao
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.