All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Bloomsbury Companion to Leibniz presents a comprehensive and authoritative introduction to the life, thought and work of one of the great polymaths of the modern world, G.W. Leibniz. This guide enriches the reader's understanding of Leibniz by establishing the philosophies of, and Leibniz's reactions to, his most important philosophical contemporaries from Descartes to Malebranche. While addressing current philosophical research in Leibniz studies such as his metaphysics, logic and theory of free will, a leading team of experts in the field demonstrate that Leibniz's work was wider in scope. Examining new directions in this field they cover a number of Leibniz's concerns outside of philosophy including mathematics, physics, and the life sciences. The Companion concludes by offering analysis of Leibniz's legacy; his impact on further study, particularly on his successor Immanuel Kant, and how he has subsequently been understood. Together with extended biographical sketches and an up-to-date and fully comprehensive bibliography, The Bloomsbury Companion to Leibniz is an extremely valuable study tool for students and scholars interested in Leibniz and the era in which he wrote.
- Author BiographyBrandon C. Look is University Research Professor at the Department of Philosophy, University of Kentucky, USA. His research focuses on the history of early modern philosophy, especially on the thought of Spinoza, Leibniz, and Kant. He also works on issues in contemporary metaphysics, epistemology, logic, and the history and philosophy of science. He is the co-editor and translator (with Donald Rutherford) of The Leibniz-Des Bosses Correspondence (2007) and the author of Leibniz and the 'Vinculum Substantiale' (1999).
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication25/09/2014
- Series TitleBloomsbury Companions
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight539 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byBrandon Look
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.48
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.31
- AU $36.78Trending at AU $38.13
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.65
- AU $33.33Trending at AU $36.24
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.49
- AU $23.12Trending at AU $33.89
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.