All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $29.40Trending at AU $31.55
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.55Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.84Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $51.27
About this product
- DescriptionBenedictus Spiza (1632-77) was among the most important of the post-Cartesian philosophers of the second half of the seventeenth century and is still widely studied today. He made original contributions in every major area of philosophy and is best kwn for his Ethics, which is often held up as a supreme example of a self-contained metaphysical system intended to explain the universe. The Bloomsbury Companion to Spiza is the first to offer an accessible, encyclopaedic account of Spiza's life and ideas, his influences and commentators, and his lasting significance. Some of the best features include an antated chrology of Spiza's life, bibliographies of his major influences and critics, a substantive dictionary of key Spizan concepts, summaries of Spiza's principal writings and concludes with a chapter on Spiza's place in modern academic scholarship. The volume is also updated with words on the recent major event in Spiza scholarship with the discovery of the Vatican manuscript of Spiza's Ethics. The Bloomsbury Companion to Spiza is a valuable research tool for anyone interested in Spiza and the era of great change in which he lived and wrote.
- Author BiographyWiep van Bunge is Professor of the History of Philosophy at the Erasmus University Rotterdam, the Netherlands. Henri Krop is Associate Professor in the History of Philosophy at the Erasmus University Rotterdam, the Netherlands. Piet Steenbakkers is Associate Professor in the History of Philosophy at the University of Utrecht, the Netherlands and holder of the endowed chair of Spinoza studies at Erasmus University Rotterdam, the Netherlands. Jeroen van de Ven is a specialist in late medieval history and codicology, the history of the book and the history of 17th-century Dutch Enlightenment thought, more particularly of the intellectual networks of Rene Descartes and Benedictus de Spinoza. He is currently preparing an annotated chronology in English of Spinoza's life and works (scheduled 2014).
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication31/07/2014
- Series TitleBloomsbury Companions
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Weight644 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byHenri Krop,Jeroen M. M. Van de Ven,Piet Steenbakkers,Wiep van Bunge
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.