All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $89.41
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $97.42
About this product
- DescriptionFor scholars working on almost any aspect of American thought, The Bloomsbury Encyclopedia to Philosophers in America presents an indispensable reference work. Selecting over 700 figures from the Dictionary of Early American Philosophers and the Dictionary of Modern American Philosophers, this condensed edition includes key contributors to philosophical thought. From 1600 to the present day, entries cover psychology, pedagogy, sociology, anthropology, education, theology and political science, before these disciplines came to be considered distinct from philosophy. Clear and accessible, each entry contains a short biography of the writer, an exposition and analysis of his or her doctrines and ideas, a bibliography of writings and suggestions for further reading. Featuring a new preface by the editor and a comprehensive introduction, The Bloomsbury Encyclopedia to Philosophers in America includes 30 new entries on twenty-first century thinkers including Martha Nussbaum and Patricia Churchland. With in-depth overviews of Waldo Emerson, Margaret Fuller, Noah Porter, Frederick Rauch, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Paine and Thomas Jefferson, this is an invaluable one-stop research volume to understanding leading figures in American thought and the development of American intellectual history.
- Author BiographyJohn R. Shook is Research Associate in Philosophy and faculty of the Science and the Public EdM program at the University at Buffalo, USA. Among his books are Dewey's Empirical Theory of Knowledge and Reality (2000) and John Dewey's Philosophy of Spirit (2010) and A Companion to Pragmatism (2005). He is General Editor of the Dictionary of Early American Philosophers (2012) and the Dictionary of Modern American Philosophers (2005).
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication11/02/2016
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Weight1857 g
- Width169 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine58 mm
- Edited byJohn R. Shook
- Format DetailsRough front
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.