All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn recent years, there has been an explosion of interest in the contemporary social study of the body which has raised important theoretical and methodological questions regarding traditional social and cultural analysis. It has also generated corporeal theories that highlight the fluid, shifting, yet situated character of the body in society. In turn, these corporeal theories have implications for social relations in an era of new techlogies and global market ecomies. The Body and Everyday Life offers a lively and comprehensive introduction to the study of the body. It uses case studies in performance practices to examine the key concepts, methods and critical insights gained from this area. It includes sections on: * ethgraphies of the body * bodies of performance * performing gender * the ageing performing body. This book clearly illustrates the complex relationships that exist between the body, society and everyday life, and considers the negative and positive implications for the development of future socio-cultural analysis in the field. It will be an invaluable introduction for students of sociology, body studies, gender studies, dance and performance, and cultural studies.
- Author BiographyHelen Thomas is Director of Doctoral Programmes at the University of the Arts London. Trained in both dance and sociology, her research interests centre on the sociology of dance and the body, cultural theory, and qualitative research methods applied to cultural practices. She has published numerous articles and book chapters and the following books: The Body, Dance and Cultural Theory (2003); Cultural Bodies (eds. with J. Ahmed, 2004); Dance in the City (ed. 1997), Dance, Modernity and Culture (1995) and dance Gender and Culture (ed. 1993).
- Author(s)Helen Thomas
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication15/04/2010
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleThe New Sociology
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note4 line drawings, 12 halftones
- Weight204 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.19
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $19.03Trending at AU $22.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.