All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.74Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionIn autumn 1525, Luther wrote The Bondage of the Will as a response to humanist and theologian Erasmus of Rotterdam's On Free Will. Luther's treatise is important on four accounts: First, Luther wanted to show his own humanist education. Second, against Erasmus, who had maintained that the question of free will could t be decided just on the basis of the Bible, Luther stressed the clarity imbedded in Scripture. Third, Luther stressed that his denial of the free will pertained to the issue of salvation, while in other areas of life t relevant for this fundamental existential matter, free will could be ackwledged. Finally, he introduces the distinction of the revealed and the hidden God to make clear that a Christian must focus on God as shown in Jesus Christ rather than speculating about God's potency in general. Luther's argument on the matter of the bound and free will poses a challenge and an invitation for constructive contemporary theology. This volume is excerpted from The Antated Luther series, Volume 2. Each volume in the series contains antations, illustrations, and tes to help shed light on Luther's context and to interpret his writings for today.
- Author BiographyVolker Leppin is professor for church history in the department for Evangelical Lutheran theology at the University of Tubingen and member of the scientific advisory committee of the Luther Decade, Kirsi l, Stjerna is First Lutheran, Los Angeles/Southwest California Synod Professor of Lutheran History and Theology at Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary of California Lutheran University.
- Author(s)Martin Luther
- PublisherFortress Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication31/05/2016
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Series TitleAnnotated Luther
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFortress Press,U.S.
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight295 g
- Width190 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Edited byKirsi I. Stjerna,Volker Leppin
- Edition Statementannotated edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.