All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA concise edition of the highly acclaimed Oxford Companion to the Book, this book features the 51 articles from the Companion plus 3 brand new chapters in one affordable volume. The 54 chapters introduce readers to the fascinating world of book history. Including 21 thematic studies on topics such as writing systems, the ancient and the medieval book, and the ecomics of print, as well as 33 regional and national histories of 'the book', offering a truly global survey of the book around the world, the Oxford History of the Book is the most comprehensive work of its kind. The three new articles, specially commissioned for this spin-off, cover censorship, copyright and intellectual property, and book history in the Caribbean and Bermuda. All essays are illustrated throughout with reproductions, diagrams, and examples of various typographical features. Beautifully produced and hugely informative, this is a must-have for anyone with an interest in book history and the written word.
- Author BiographyMichael F. Suarez S.J. is Professor and Director of the Rare Book School at the University of Virginia. Formerly the J. A. Kavanaugh Professor of English at Fordham University in New York and Fellow and Tutor in English at Campion Hall, Oxford, he is co-editor of The Cambridge History of the Book in Britain, Volume 5, 1695-1830 (2009) and co-general editor of The Collected Works of Gerard Manley Hopkins, 8 vols (2006- ). H. R. Woudhuysen is Rector of Lincoln College, Oxford. He has edited The Penguin Book of Renaissance Verse (1992), with David Norbrook; Love's Labour's Lost (1998) and, with Katherine Duncan-Jones, Shakespeare's Poems (2007) for the Arden Shakespeare third series. His book Sir Philip Sidney and the Circulation of Manuscripts, 1558-1640 was published in 1996.
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication24/10/2013
- SubjectLibrary & Information Science
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content NoteOver 60
- Weight1424 g
- Width167 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Edited byH. R. Woudhuysen,Michael F. Suarez
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.86
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.84
- AU $24.98Trending at AU $25.26
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.03
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.20
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.