All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $20.16Trending at AU $25.71
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $28.45Trending at AU $29.55
About this product
- DescriptionIn the fifteenth century, a Venetian mariner, Michael of Rhodes, wrote and illustrated a text describing his experiences in the Venetian merchant and military fleets. He included a treatise on commercial mathematics and treatments of contemporary shipbuilding practices, navigation, calendrical systems, and astrological ideas. This manuscript, lost, or at least in unkwn hands for over 400 years, has never been published or translated in its entirety until w. Volume 1 is a facsimile of the manuscript, reproduced in full color. The text is written out by hand and beautifully illustrated (probably at least in part by Michael himself), featuring color diagrams and illustrations of naval architecture, original drawings of astrological signs, calendrical charts, and a coat of arms Michael devised for himself.
- Author BiographyAlan M. Stahl is a medieval historian specializing in Venice and is Curator of Numismatics at Princeton University. McGee, Stahl, and Long are codirectors of the Michael of Rhodes project.
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication03/07/2009
- LanguageEnglish & Italian
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note48 illus.
- Weight2133 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Edited byAlan M. Stahl,David McGee,Pamela O. Long
- Translated byAlan M. Stahl
- Interest AgeFrom 18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.