All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis much awaited second vel from one of the most acclaimed Zimbabwean writers of her generation is already fulfilling the promise of her first vel Nervous Conditions , par excellence. Bira traces Tambu's continuing quest to redefine the personal, political and historical forces that threaten to destroy the fabric of her community - and reveals how its aftermath still be-devils Africans today. Dangarembga's authorial voice delves into the education system, the liberation struggle and attitudes of contemporary Zimbabweans in an incisive and insightful examination of a system calculated to poison and destroy the African sense of self. A distinguishing feature of Bira is its radical position in underscoring the complexities and contradictions inherent in colonialism and globalisation. The vel chronicles the plight of the main protagonist Tambu in trying to find her identity and meaning of her existence.
- Author BiographyTsitsi Dangarembga was born and brought up in Zimbabwe. She studied medicine and psychology, before turning to writing full-time. In addition to Nervous Conditions, she has written a play entitled She No Longer Weeps. Today, in addition to writing, Dangarembga works as a scriptwriter, consultant and film director.
- Author(s)Tsitsi Dangarembga
- PublisherAyebia Clarke Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication07/02/2006
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationBanbury
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAyebia Clarke Publishing Ltd
- Weight244 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine18 mm
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $71.47
- AU $84.17Trending at AU $91.13
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $83.49
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $14.80
- AU $12.29Trending at AU $17.31
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.67
- AU $21.57Trending at AU $24.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.