All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.52
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.39
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.94
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $79.81
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.14
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.09
- AU $17.07Trending at AU $23.44
About this product
- DescriptionIn the middle of the 17th century, the great French philosopher Rene Descartes wrote (L'Homme, J. Le Gras, Paris, 1669) that a suitable stimulation of the brain results in two types of movements : exterior movements, designed to seek desirable ends and to avoid undesirable or harmful ones and interior movements or passions which through the release of animal spirits regulate the heart, the liver, and other organs. When it appears appropriate to meet a threat with force, the passion of rage causes the release of strong spirits, whereas when avoidance appears to be the better choice, the passion of fear causes the brain to release weak spirits. We do t kw what influence, if any, Descartes had on the thinking of Walter B. Cann (Bodily Changes in Pain, Hunger, Fear and Rage, Appleton and Co. , New York, 1920), of Hans Selye (The Story of the Adaptation Syndrome, Acta, Inc. , Montreal, 1952), ofG. W. Harris or of R. Guillemin (Hypothalamic-Hypophysial Interrelationships. A Sym- posium. c. c. Thomas, Springfield, 1956), but it is interesting to reflect upon the durable value of great ideas which constantly resurface even if modified by other ideas and by new techniques, as if propelled by a preordained intellectual imperative.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication30/09/2011
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Series TitleEndocrinology and Metabolism
- Series Part/Volume Number3
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight434 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byMargo P. Cohen,Piero P. Foa
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1989
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.