All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.40
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.82
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $118.00
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $109.01
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.40
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.95
About this product
- DescriptionThe crow needs only twenty miles to fly from the source of the Bristol Avon to the sea, but the river itself covers almost four times that distance. It rises in South Gloucestershire near Acton Turville, then flows in a great loop that takes it through fine Cotswold scenery. Within a few miles it is in Wiltshire, where it passes the towns of Malmesbury, Chippenham, Melksham and Trowbridge, then into Somerset where it enhances the historic city of Bath. Further downstream is the great city of Bristol, which owes its great success as a trading port to the river's navigability and access to the sea, and finally the river reaches the Bristol Channel at Avonmouth. This book follows the river's course, showing some of the stunning Cotswold scenery through which it passes. The historic towns and cities it serves are featured, together with villages such as Lacock, famed for its abbey and as the home of the inventor of photography, and historic features such as the Dundas and Avoncliff aqueducts, which carried the Kennet and Avon canal over the river. Author Steve Wallis explores the river's past as an important transport route and its present as a home for rare flora and fauna and a Site of Special Scientific Interest.
- Author BiographySteve Wallis was born in Halifax in the former West Riding of Yorkshire. In 1994 he moved to Dorset to work for Dorset County Council, where he is currently a senior archaeologist. A keen photographer, Steve is the author of several titles covering the local history of Dorchester as well as locations in Somerset and Hampshire. He has written many other 'Through Time' volumes relating to Dorset and adjacent counties and two river 'From Source to Sea' books for Amberley. He lives in Dorset.
- Author(s)Steve Wallis
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/11/2015
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note200
- Width248 mm
- Height170 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.